Re: Allow donations for precise bugs

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 09:12 +0100, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I apologize in advance for the cross-post but it seems adequate here, as this
> proposal involves users and developers.

> In the article, Eugenia correctly points out that OSS projects tend to ignore
> the needs of *ordinary* users: currently the OSS model tends to favour the

The biggest flawed assumption in this whole debate is that people who
read osnews or subscribe to mailing list are "ordinary users". Gnome
devs are NOT ordinary users, you Maurizio are NOT an ordinary user, I am
NOT an ordinary user.

My wife is an ordinary user, she prefers to use windows (because of
better Japanese input) and she would never even think twice about
features she wants in a computer, let alone think of looking up and
using something remotely resembling a bugzilla! However many times your
mother looks at her car/dvd player/toaster/etc and think "wouldn't it be
cool if this could do X", and you have how many times your mother will
think about doing that with Gnome.

If you forget the above fact, then you'll have the horrendous sample
bias Euginia was warned about on d-d-l.

That said, I have no problem in principle with people putting their
money where their mouth is to support FOSS, but the trick is to do it
without adversely affecting the current dynamic.

I agree with Luis, and think something very *loosely* coupled with the
current process (bugzilla) would be better.

I agree with Sean, that users need to pose problems to be solved by the
dev, not their own possibly ill conceived solutions.

Cheers,
Ryan