Re: libgnome: gnome-open.c

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 17:32:30 +0200, Alp Özmert wrote:

>Wouter Bolsterlee <uws+gnome xs4all nl> writes:
>
>> 2007-06-17 klockan 14:23 skrev Alp Özmert:
>>> I came upon 'gnome-open' while looking for a way to make Emacs/Gnus
>>> call the application associated by Gnome as an external viewer for
>>> attached files.  The impediment is that I couldn't make gnome-open
>>> wait until the process finishes, neither did I have success with
>>> gnome_url_show().
>>>
>>> I would be delighted by any given insight to this first-time gnome
>>> hacker to enable him to construct a blocking call to
>>> gnome_url_show().
>>
>> This is not really possible to do reliably. Many Gnome
>> applications are single instance apps (e.g. Evince). This means
>> that a second application instance will just pass through the
>> command line arguments (e.g. the filename to show) to the already
>> running applications, and quit immediately afterwards.
>
>Is there a simple way to find the path to the associated
>application? For now that would be sufficient.

I ran into that problem a while ago.  Don't know if it helps but here's
a dirty Python script I hacked up and run from inside mutt in order to
use GNOME's MIME data rather than mailcap:

  #! /usr/bin/env python

  import gnomevfs
  import os
  import sys

  mime_type = gnomevfs.get_mime_type(sys.argv[1])
  mime_app = gnomevfs.mime_get_default_application(mime_type)
  application = os.popen('whereis %s' % mime_app[2]).readline().split(' ')[1]

  os.execl(application, application, sys.argv[1])

Taken from [1].

/M

[1]: http://therning.org/magnus/archives/251

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus