Re: Window focus vs. raising

Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2008 2:33 PM, Enno Fennema <e fennema tiscali nl
> <mailto:e fennema tiscali nl>> wrote:
>
>     I am fairly new to Gnome. One feature that I have been unable to find is
>      how to raise one window on the desktop but leave keyboard focus with
>     another. In the documentation all I find talks about 'selecting' a
>     window which then implies both giving focus and raising the window.
>
>     Is there any way to make a distinction ?
>     (I have recently asked this question on the general list but got no
>     reply. Hope to do better here).

> About your question, I expect its possible even though I cant think
> of any use cases for raising a window that doesnt have focus.

fvwm2, which I happily used for years, does make the distinction.
When writing a program using Emacs in fullscreen mode I got used to
displaying documentation windows above Emacs and type into Emacs whilst
the docs remain in view.

Thinking about it the "Always on Top" setting achieves with one extra
mouse click what I want. If you ever had any use for that, then that is
the kind use I had in mind (I think).

> Now I would expect gtk_window_present() to do both, raise the
> window and set keyboard focus, what apis are you using ?

I was blissfully unaware of this function but it may be very useful at
times.

> Cheers,
>                        -Tristan

Thanks,