Re: tablet touchscreen configuration

Hi Bruce!,

On lun, 2014-02-24 at 21:35 -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
Hi folks,

Is there a mailing list for tablet issues or tablet developers? I
didn't see one. Indeed the mailing lists that aren't for developers
seem to be for specific applications rather than the system itself.
So, please forgive me if this is misplaced.

It is true that there is no specific ML around touch/tablet support,
most activity happens in the wider desktop-devel-list gnome org , or on
specific clutter/gtk+ mailing lists.

I've set up Gnome 3 from Debian unstable on a Panasonic Toughpad
FZ-G1. This has two sensor surfaces on the screen: a stylus that is or
emulates a Wacom, and an eGalaxy Touch which is a multitouch finger
touchscreen. Both are using evdev, the eGalaxy also has mtdev. Kernel
is 3.14 .

If anyone has tested this device with Gnome or indeed Linux, there
isn't any web evidence. It works, with a few little issues that I am
now running down.

The Wacom works correctly. The eGalaxy Touch mostly works, but
something is different about the button events. On the screen
keyboard, the buttons highlight when I touch them but they don't act
as if they've been pressed. This also happens on all of the shell
panel buttons. But finger-touch on a dock icon correctly launches the
program.

This was a known bug in gnome-shell 3.8, which is fixed in gnome-shell
3.10.

In xev, button press and release events look identical between the two
devices.

xev reports legacy events that toolkits don't use that much anymore
nowadays... "xinput test-xi2" will report the more modern events that
gnome-shell and gtk+ applications see, XI_TouchBegin/Update/End between
those, it is the interpretation of those what was causing the trouble
here.

Nice to see that Gnome 3 is mostly usable on tablets. I can probably
test multitouch when I get through this issue.

That's something that's improving over the late/future release
cycles :). Unfortunately, this also means that having the latest and
greatest would help in testing here...

Cheers,
  Carlos