Re: Makefile.am changes

Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> writes:
> On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Tim Janik wrote:
> > you're changes to gtk+/gtk/Makefile.am didn't at all *fix* srcdir!=builtdir,
> > a lot of efford has been put into gtk+ 1.2.5 to actually get this going
> > reliably. instead you're changes would create new versions of the
> > built sources and will cause failing builds when the autogenerated sources
> > don't match the static sources anymore.
>
> It didn't work before. If you don't believe me, or have wonderful ideas on
> making it work better, do a fresh cvs checkout and try it yourself.

Can you elaborate.  There are a couple of problems which Tim and I
discussed a few months ago.  My suspicion is that you have a

  cp x... ../../gtk/gtktypebuiltins_eval.c
          ^^^^^^^^^
                  |_____
command that fails (this path is from builddir to srcdir, but
the 'cp' occurs in srcdir and hence the path is invalid).

However, your fix, while it works, doesn't feel clean.  You have a
temporary file created in srcdir and then copy it into builddir.
Secondly, the generated file doesn't need to be in builddir since it
is identical on all platforms -- it should go into srcdir.

My proposed fix is (pseudo patch)

  gtktypebuiltins_eval.c: @REBUILD@ ...
        cd $(srcdir) \
        && ... \
 +      && cp ... gtktypebuiltins_eval.c \

and similarly for the other targets.

- Hari