Re: Makefile.am changes

On 24 Dec 1999, Raja R Harinath wrote:

> Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> writes:
> > On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Tim Janik wrote:
> > > you're changes to gtk+/gtk/Makefile.am didn't at all *fix* srcdir!=builtdir,
> > > a lot of efford has been put into gtk+ 1.2.5 to actually get this going
> > > reliably. instead you're changes would create new versions of the
> > > built sources and will cause failing builds when the autogenerated sources
> > > don't match the static sources anymore.
> >
> > It didn't work before. If you don't believe me, or have wonderful ideas on
> > making it work better, do a fresh cvs checkout and try it yourself.
>
> Can you elaborate.  There are a couple of problems which Tim and I
> discussed a few months ago.  My suspicion is that you have a
>
>   cp x... ../../gtk/gtktypebuiltins_eval.c
>           ^^^^^^^^^
>                   |_____
> command that fails (this path is from builddir to srcdir, but
> the 'cp' occurs in srcdir and hence the path is invalid).

i first want to reproduce this case (that you outlined a few months ago
as well). i suspect you used a buggy version of make back then, since
i wasn't able to reproduce this either with the then-stable version
of make nor with it's most recent version.
elliot, if this is actually your problem, *please* give me the exact make
version you have and a build log, i'd really like to see that case triggered.

> However, your fix, while it works, doesn't feel clean.  You have a
> temporary file created in srcdir and then copy it into builddir.
> Secondly, the generated file doesn't need to be in builddir since it
> is identical on all platforms -- it should go into srcdir.
>
> My proposed fix is (pseudo patch)
>
>   gtktypebuiltins_eval.c: @REBUILD@ ...
>         cd $(srcdir) \
>         && ... \
>  -      && cp ... $@ \
>  +      && cp ... gtktypebuiltins_eval.c \
>
> and similarly for the other targets.

if we indeed had to fix this case because of the target being
prefixed with the path from builtdir to srcdir, the patch should
actually be:

> - Hari
> --

---