Re: New gtkpaned look.

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 09:27:28PM +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 jrb@redhat.com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anders Carlsson and I sat down and came up with a new look for gtkpaned,
> > that will hopefully make it look both more modern, and more elegant.
> > Screenshot is available at:
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/jrb/images/for_andersca.png
> >
> > It basically replaces the handle with 7 dots.  The source, and a patch
> > against gtk+ HEAD is available at
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/jrb/files/gtksplitter/
> >
> > What do people think of it?
> > Comments???
>
> the behaviour is far nicer than with the old paned in that the whole seperator
> is sensitive for movement.
> however, i think the dots look a bit poor. i'd rather prefer something like the
> old knob there or some taskbar-like handle.
> but the paned are owen's pets and so he's to make that decision ;)

I think that the dots are probably better at conveying that the entire
bar would be movable, whereas the old look implies you have to grab the
knob.  I don't think the dots are perfect, but it seems a huge improvement
to me.

One problem with the current handle is that in every application which
uses this widget, the handle tends to get cut off by other widgets nearby
(just look at gmc).

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson                       amundson@eventloop.com
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking