Scroll events [ Was Re: Unidentified subject! ]

Guillaume Laurent <glaurent@worldnet.fr> writes:

> Owen Taylor <otaylor@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > But it is probably close enough that I can go ahead and apply it
> > without another iteration. Let me know if you have any objections
> > to the above changes.
>
> I'm confused : isn't GTK+ already supporting mouse-wheel events since
> v1.2 ?

Yes it does. What Anders's patch does is add a separate GDK_SCROLL
event instead of just passing through the button 4/5 hack from
X.

This has a number of advantages:

 - Propagation of scroll events is improved since widgets that listen
   for button press events won't trap them.

 - We can support XInput devices that actually have more than 3 buttons.

 - Platforms like Win32 where scroll events are separate don't need
   to turn them into button events.

It's just, in general, cleaner.