Re: [OT] Re: Third draft (was Re: defs files)

Guillaume Laurent <glaurent@worldnet.fr> writes:
> A nitpick : while I agree that gtk+ wasn't primarily designed for
> language bindings, theoretically gnome should be. Yet the Gnome libs
> are much harder to wrap than gtk+ :-).

What you're missing is that GTK+ was relatively carefully designed by
people familiar with the issues, and gnome-libs while primarily
written by a few authors was not really designed in advance and the
authors didn't necessarily know what they were doing in all
respects.  And now we're stuck with legacy APIs. So, yeah you are
right that gnome-libs is a big mess. Not just for binding authors,
it's just a mess.

> On jan. 10 I posted here and on gnome-hackers a mail which subject was
> "Making the life of the wrappers maintainers easier".
>
> I got absolutely *zero* feedback.
>
> Thankfully you are now addressing most of the problems I pointed out
> in that mail in your new defs file specs.

OK, good. :-)

> I doubt I'll have the time to do that before mid-february, may be I
> can try this next week.

Please do. Or February may be soon enough, hard to say.

Sorry to rant, I was just getting annoyed by this issue last
night.:-)

Havoc