Re: New developer...

Thanks for your interest in working on GTK+.

It's a little difficult to get involved in GTK+ development, since
it's a large and complicated project, and we're pretty careful about
adding new API to it.

For the GTK+-2.0 cycle, we've basically have the complete list of
features we want in the release finalized at this point, and major
changes to widgets are not on that list.

After that release, there will most likely be a GTK+-2.2 release,
hopefully withind in a year, which will include things like a revised
menu API and additional new or reworked widgets.

If you want to get involved in GTK+ development at this point,
probably the easiest thing to do is to go to bugzilla.gnome.org and
query on bugs for the "2.0.0" milestone for the gtk+ product.

These are non-API affecting bugs and it should be reasonably easy to
get patches that fix these bugs integrated.

(The bugs on the "2.0.0 API Freeze" milestone affect the API, and thus
the solutions for them need more discussion and involvement from the
core developers.)

The file selector is schedule for a major rewrite in that development
cycle of GTK+ and some people have been working on replacements. For
that reason, we aren't taking small changes right now; you may want to
look through the archives of this mailing list to find some of the
prototypes and patches people are working on for this.