Re: Big trouble with Euro locales (iso8859-15)

Daniel Egger <egger suse de> writes:

> On Mon, 2001-09-17 at 16:28, Sven Neumann wrote:
>
> > > And what exactly should I change there?
>
> > copy /etc/gtkrc.iso8859-15 to /etc/gtkrc.de ?!
>
> I understood this before, but why should it help?
> Truetype or fixed fonts work fine, just postscript fonts don't.

Well, as far as GTK+ or Xlib is concerned, there is absolutely
no difference between different types of fonts.

So, if you have problems of this sort, they have something
to do with the way your X fonts are configured.

On my system, I don't have iso8859-15 encoded versions of the URW
fonts, so of course, they aren't going to be able to display
the euro sign. (I don't think the fonts actually
_include_ the euro sign.)

[
 One thing to note in this area is that if you do have a
 /etc/gtk/gtkrc.iso885915 file, the GNOME control center's
 font selection probably won't work correctly since it only
 writes font= not fontset= lines, so the fontset= line
 in /etc/gtk/gtkrc.iso885915 will override what it writes.

 But the observed problem there will simply be that settings
 made through the control center have no effect.
]