owen

gtk

GtkObject: double destroys.

Hi there,

	Porting Gal, I'm getting hammered by a load of double destroy
issues. And now I remember idly protecting all the bonobo widgets
against double destroys.

	Anyway, so having read the GtkObject compatibility code, I'm
slightly intrigued as to why it is neccessary to allow 'double
destroys' ( as mentioned in the Changes-2.0 ). This seems rather like
a big pain in the neck for porting large projects.

	Would not removing the unset of GTK_OBJECT_DESTROYED in
gtk_object_dispose, not provide a more pleasant compatibility path ?

	Also, the comment in gtk_object_destroy:

    {
      /* need to hold a reference count around all class method
       * invocations.
       */
      g_object_run_dispose (G_OBJECT (object));
    }

	somewhat confuses me; since a reference isn't taken, is this a
throwback to the equivilant 1.2 comment ?

	Just to give some idea of the scale of the problem there are
~90 destroy impls. in gal, and ~ 200 in evolution.

	I mean - perhaps I wouldn't mind wearing my fingers to the very
bone if I understood why it was neccessary; if it was explained I could
write a rational in Changes-2.0.txt about it for the next people to stare
through some massive stack traces.

	Regards,

		Michael.