RE: Gtk/Gnome release schedules

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 04:28, martyn 2 russell bt com wrote:
> I definitely think something needs to be done.
>
> We (BT) are currently writing an application for Cisco, and some of the
> issues raised by my own team are greatly to do with the file selection
> dialog.  These include, the look, lack of functionality, and how it is
> completely different to the Window's file selection dialog.
>
> I think it would be good to have the file selection dialog updated (from the
> Linux platform's point of view) but it is (IMO) more important to have it
> updated to be more inline to how Window's users expect a file selection
> dialog to look.
>
> By-the-way, when I say lack of functionality, I mean things like filters for
> what the user will be browsing, that sort of thing.

Note that there _will_ be a new file selector in GTK+-2.4, which seems
to be the important thing for you; the subject under discussion is
whether GTK+-2.4 will be in 4 months, 6 months, or 8 months, and if
it isn't in 4 months, whether GNOME-2.4 will wait for it.

So, for an app developer, the only issue is a few months of schedule
one way or the other.