spelling [Re: Japanese kana input]

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 01:38:50PM -0500, Terry 'Mongoose' Hendrix II wrote:
> I would also wonder why GNOME doesn't
> start working on a unified dictionary interface -- like a gdict and a
> spell checker for all languages using bonobo componets or plugins.
> Please tell if there is such a project underway.    =)

It's funny you ask me about that, because I've done a bit of work
towards starting such a project (mostly collecting information), and I
also sorta maintain a spelling package called GtkSpell.

Unfortunately, I managed to lose these notes due to a mistyped rm (sadly,
I've managed to keep everything in CVS except for the one file I misdeleted)
so all that remains is an older version, from list archives:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=1550266&forum_id=5929

I don't like linking to that because I had changed it since, but there it
is.  (One notable point I recall is that many people prefer myspell over
aspell because it has some sort of improved support-- I seem to recall
it was related to morphology (affixes?)?)

In any case, I haven't touched it in months because I've been busy with
school and other projects.  Paolo Maggi (from gedit) was also interested
in such a project, but last we talked neither of us had free time to
spare.

--
      Evan Martin
martine cs washington edu