Re: Proposal: an addition to glib for getting the absolute path of the current binary.

Sven Neumann wrote:
Hi,

I am not convinced that locating the binary file does solve the
problem of locating the data and configuration files. Is there a
reliable way to determine these directories when the path of the
executable is known? I don't think so. The software might have been
compiled with --datadir set to something completely unrelated. Same
goes for configuration files.
It's common practise to call configure
with --sysconfdir=/etc.  How is your proposal for relocatable packages
going to deal with this?

How about adding a configure option which makes your app use g_find_your_own_path(), unless the user explicitly specified --*dir=/wherever ? I've already written code for this (in the BinReloc autoconf macro).