Re: Some 2.6 thinking

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 11:36, James Henstridge wrote:
> Jody Goldberg wrote:
>
> >The FSG's papi api with existing wrapper to ipp/cups seems like a
> >good target for 'how to get the spool files to a printier'.
> >Unfortunately cairo's postscript backend is not exactly useful just
> >yet.  It currently rasterizes then ships the result as postscript ...
> >Beyond making for really large files, it also precludes doing smart
> >filtering ala gimp-print.
> >

> This is because simple postscript isn't expressive enough for some of
> Cairo's operations.
>
> Other programs that use the PDF 1.4 imaging model also end up
> rasterising bits of the output due to limitations of PostScript, so it
> is not without precedent.  It is true that some improvements could be
> made, since other programs only rasterise the portions of the page that
> can't be described with PostScript.  I don't know if Carl is working on
> this bit though.

limitations of PostScript? PostScript is a programming language, there's
basically nothing it can't do. i'm not saying that everything can be
done easily, or that it would be fun to implement, but any page/thing
can be described with postscript. the limitations would be in the
generator, not the language.

-rm