Re: GtkGrid design document

Owen Taylor wrote:
But I don't have a good sense of what apps would use such a widget
at the moment. Having that idea is core to designing the widget.

I'd use a grid widget to display a matrix, eg.:

 http://cima.ng-london.org.uk/~john/desktop39.png

I'd want something that was convenient to navigate and could manage large datasets efficiently. For example, a matrix could be a lookup table on a 16 bit RGB image, so you'd need 3 columns by 65k rows. I have a bunch of 13 channel 16 bit images so obviously tables get even larger there.

I used GtkSheet previously but I've not tried the gtk2 version of that yet. GtkSheet used to be limited to sheets of 32k pixels by 32k pixels, maybe they've fixed that.

John