Re: timeouts in GTK+

Matthias said:

> > GTK+ contains a considerable number of hardwired timeouts:

> To make GTK+ more accessible, most of these should be
> > made configurable. These timeouts can be roughly grouped
> > into the following functional groups:
> >
> > - repeat functionality
> >     (calendar arrows, spinbutton arrows, notebook
> >      scrolling, etc)
> > - scrolling
> >     (dnd scrolling in the text view, tree view, icon view,
> >      menu scrolling, combo box scrolling)
> > - animation
> >     (tree node expansion, expander, toolbar animation)
> > - miscellaneous other things
> >
> > I would propose to add settings for
> >
> > - disabling repeat (boolean)
> > - repeat speed (float, say from 1 (very slow) - 100 (very fast))

I think repeat speed can more usefully be expressed as an absolute
value.  I would suggest using milliseconds.

We also need, for repeat, a "delay before repeat" value as well, which
controls the time until the repeat "kicks in"; this is analogous to key
repeat.

> > - scrolling speed (float)

I am not sure I like relative values here.

> > - disabling animation (boolean)
> > - animation speed (float)

> > My idea for the speed settings would be to use them as factors for
> > the current timeout values, and adjust the range so that we can go
> > from something like twice as fast as the current value to say 5 times
> > slower. Does that sound reasonable ?
> >
> > For many things, we actually have a separate timeout for the initial
> > delay before a repeat or scrolling kicks in. Do we need a separate
> > setting to modify that ?

Yes, pretty sure we do.

Thanks!