Re: filechooser spec offline?

Hi,

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Apparently moved to http://www.gnome.org/~seth/designs/filechooser-spec/

Thanks.

> I'd suggest just filing bugzilla bugs on specific tweaks, or
> usability gnome org, and copy Seth and Bryan.
>
> You might also point out to people that the file chooser is
> theoretically pluggable, and one alternate chooser (a Windows-alike one)
> is even needed in the main GTK+ distribution.

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting to write a replacement.
Basically everyone would be happy if two things could be addressed:

 - The widget should work w/o an icon theme or it should be better
   documented on how to get icons to work in the file-chooser.  I've
   brought up this issue here before but got no response. A simple
   solution that has been suggested is to use bold text for folders.

 - The location entry (well hidden in a dialog to be opened with
   Ctrl-L) should (optionally) be integrated to the dialog.

I don't think that it's worth to write an alternative backend just to
address these two issues that can be easily solved in the current
code. I think there are bug-reports about these points already but I
wonder if patches would make it more likely that these issues will be
addressed in the future.

Sven