Re: [bob brasko net: Re: Glib]

> Bob Rossi <bob brasko net> writes:
>
> > Is there anyway the pkg-config package can not be needed in the
> > configure.in when building the minimal Glib library?
> >
> > This doesn't seem necessary. Is it?
>
> It is necessary and I don't see why it should be a problem. It's just
> a build tool, not a dependency for an application using glib.

I think you are missing the point here. pkg-config doesn't build on some
systems. Also, it depends on Glib to build. This is ridiculous.
I am proposing removing this dependency when building the minimal Glib.
Is this considered acceptable?

> If you have further questions, you should probably ask them on
> gtk-list. This is getting off-topic here.

I am talking about how to develop Glib into a lightweight library, that
can build everywhere. Is this not a "development" topic?

Do you realize there is a reason that autoconf uses sh scripts to build
most applications? It's the lowest common denominator. It supposedly works
everywhere. Is there something wrong with the way autoconf normally
works that is solved with pkg-config? Does this problem relate to
building the minimal Glib?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi