Re: [bob brasko net: Re: Glib]

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:14:47AM -0500, Bob Rossi wrote:
> > Bob Rossi <bob brasko net> writes:
> >
> > > Is there anyway the pkg-config package can not be needed in the
> > > configure.in when building the minimal Glib library?
> > >
> > > This doesn't seem necessary. Is it?
> >
> > It is necessary and I don't see why it should be a problem. It's just
> > a build tool, not a dependency for an application using glib.
>
> I think you are missing the point here. pkg-config doesn't build on some
> systems.
Which platforms ?
How much work is necessary to get pkg-config onto them ?

> Also, it depends on Glib to build.
It contains a stripped down copy of an older version of glib.  There
is no circularity.

> This is ridiculous.
> I am proposing removing this dependency when building the minimal Glib.
> Is this considered acceptable?
It seems like the current glib already offers you what you're
looking for.  It's broken into 4 pieces
    glib-2.0.pc		- the piece you want
    gthread-2.0.pc
    gobject-2.0.pc
    gmodule-2.0.pc

> Is there something wrong with the way autoconf normally
> works that is solved with pkg-config?
yes.  pkg-config simplifies managing compile flags between
libraries.  Before pkg-config every library had to provide a script
(not so portable) to look up what the include path was.