Re: [bob brasko net: Re: Glib]

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 05:17:07PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bob Rossi <bob brasko net> writes:
>
> > I think you are missing the point here. pkg-config doesn't build on some
> > systems. Also, it depends on Glib to build. This is ridiculous.
> > I am proposing removing this dependency when building the minimal Glib.
> > Is this considered acceptable?
>
> pkg-config doesn't depend on glib. It comes with it's own copy of
> glib-1.2 but you shouldn't have to worry about that. Then, glib
> doesn't actually depend on pkg-config. configure only checks for it's
> presense since we think that pkg-config should be installed when glib
> is installed. This is just a convenience check to catch problems
> early. pkg-config is not used at all during the glib build process.

I do have to worry about that because the version of glib that it comes
with doesn't build on an "out of the box" Cygwin distro.

pkg-config doesn't build out of the box on Cygwin. Should the configure
script not "stop" when it can't find pkg-config? Or should it just issue
a warning? Could we add ./configure --disable-pkg-config?

> Whatever, pkg-config is just a build tool. It doesn't need to be
> present on the target platform and it should not be a problem to
> install pkg-config on the build host (especially since it comes
> packaged with all distributions).

I don't understand what "should not be a problem means". If it's not
needed to build Glib, then it is a problem. It shouldn't be required to
install Glib if it's not needed, should it?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi