Re: Recently Used Files Proposal

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 09:29 +0200, Petr Tomasek wrote:

> > > Aah, have you changed your mind about this? I haven't seen much
> > > discussion of this change of a de-facto UI convention. Not that I
> > > personally know what's better.
> >
> > It sounds like a change for the worse to me. Its very quick to browse
> > the menu for the old file you were looking for. Opening a new dialog for
> > it is very heavy and slow, and its less likely you'll even see the "Open
> > recently used..." menu and understand what it does.
> >

> In the menu you have usually only a few "recent files". If you look
> for something little older it would have sense to have special dialog.
>
> (I hate the fact, that most gnome programs have only 5 recent files
> in the menu, on the other hand I can understand, that having more
> would blow them, so a dedicated dialog would be very good thing.
> You can even have 5 items in the menu followed by "More..." entry,
> that let you open the dialog...)

At some point its just more efficient to open the file selector instead
though. Especially since the old file you were looking for might not be
in the recent dialog either, causing you to first have to browse through
that and then open the file selector anyway.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an uncontrollable crooked card sharp with a secret. She's a cold-hearted
African-American nun with an incredible destiny. They fight crime!