Re: About symbols in gtkfilesystem.h

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 13:33 +0800, ext James Henstridge wrote:
> >GtkFileSystem  *_gtk_file_system_create (const char *file_system_name);
> >
> >is not exported. So I cannot really load such a filesystem object in my
> >program.
> >
> >  My question is that is it possible to export _gtk_file_system_create
> >as semi-private symbol in gtk library??? Or is that any plan to make
> >this head file more public?
> >

> Those symbols are not exported because no commitment has been made to
> keep them stable.  So if they were exported and you used them, your app
> could break between versions 2.8.5 and 2.8.6, for instance.

Isn't it enough to have the whole header file guarded with the
GTK_FILE_SYSTEM_ENABLE_UNSUPPORTED ifdef? Why should
_gtk_file_system_create() be even more private?

(In maemo we're exporting that symbol as hildon_gtk_file_system_create()
since we need it in hildon-fm...)

There are other symbols intended for derived widgets to use, protected
methods you could say, but as they're not exported you're confined to
gtk only.

Interestingly enough I just noticed none of the private _gtk_* symbols
have 'visibility("hidden")' attribute. Is libtool really doing to right
thing here, or should the private symbols be hidden properly?

--
Tommi Komulainen                            <tommi komulainen nokia com>