Re: GtkBuilder bug?

no need to Cc me: I'm subscribed to the list.

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 17:38 -0600, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:

> >> I don't believe that any data passed to a library should result in a
> >> fatal warning, surely a GError return would be a far better option
> >> here.
> >
> > this is data building your UI: it screams design tool, developer or
> > packager error, and I would expect GtkBuilder to error out very, very
> > quickly. if it were user input, or application data it would have
> > been a
> > completely different story - but the UI layout of an application *is*
> > the application, it's not user data.
>

> But nobody can tell that the particular chunk of XML is
> "the UI layout of an application".

you can tell: you must have put that XML somewhere. or loaded it from
somewhere. it's part of your application, like the code in your source
tree.

>  It's not gtk_main_form(),
> it's gtk_parse_this_xml_and_build_something_of_it().

> A plugin loading its UI from xml, is it user data, application
> data, or ...? (I don't quite understand how a glade file in
> /usr/share may or may not be The UI and not data, but then
> I also don't understand how people write applications which need
> a glade file on disk to start, so that's another story)

there you go, then.

> Anyway, libglade doesn't crash, so it's a regression ;)

it's not a segfault, it's a GError; and GtkBuilder is a completely new
implementation that doesn't even load the same files unless you pass
them through a converter, so it's not a "regression".

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,