Re: GtkInvisible and the style-set signal

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 16:47 +0100, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> Hi!,
>
> In order to improve the "locate mouse" functionality in
> gnome-settings-daemon, I've tried to attach a GdkWindow to a
> GtkInvisible in order to paint to it, it works nicely, with one
> exception: GtkInvisible doesn't receive any style-set signals, so if I
> use theme colors when painting, changing theme doesn't have any effect.
>
> Tim kindly pointed me to this piece of code:
>
> static void
> gtk_invisible_style_set (GtkWidget *widget,
> 			 GtkStyle  *previous_style)
> {
>   /* Don't chain up to parent implementation */
> }
>
> Now, I'm wondering, is this for some reason? or it's just product of the
> assumption that you'll never need that signal in a invisible widget?

It's been a long time, but I suspect that the problem was that at least
in some cases, the GtkWindow style-set default handler could result in
setting the background pixmap for widget->window, and that's going to be
an X error when widget->window is INPUT_ONLY.

- Owen