Re: gtk.org page width

jcupitt gmail com wrote:

> Sorry to revive this again, but does anyone have a link to the
> discussion of this? My google search is failing me.
>
> It seems strange to me that GTK goes to a lot of trouble to support
> accessibility (atk and friends), but then has a homepage which breaks
> W3C accessibility guidelines. Other than this issue I really like the
> redesign, congrats to all who worked on it.

Would not a fixed-width design meet accessibility guidelines and work on
small, mobile screens if it used a fixed width based on ems instead of
pixels?  Seems to me the time of using pixels for layouts is as obsolete
as GTK using pixel layouts for buttons and other ui elements.  Many
fixed-width schemes these days actually now are in ems, so they look
correct when the font size is changed or the client screen DPI is higher
or lower.  For example:

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200504/about_fluid_and_fixed_width_layouts/