Re: Justifying the GTK+ 3.0 ABI break

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 20:22 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:

> It really is the elaborate deprecation (as opposed to simply
> dropping in a comment and not maintaining the code any more) that
> is causing the burden.  That's what the log say -- assuming gtkclist
> is representative -- which I would guess it is.

It is not representative. GtkCList is long deprecated, and there's a
working replacement for it. It is basically just kept around for
backward compatibility. What is really a burden is how difficult it is
to add new features to widgets that are still being used. And that's
because forward compatibility has not always been considered well enough
in the past. From what I understand the GTK+ developers are now trying
to eliminate that mistake.

Sven