Re: setting up a gtk dev environment

Am Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:48:48 -0400
schrieb Patrick Hallinan <patrick j hallinan gmail com>:

> On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 20:27 +0100, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Patrick Hallinan
> > <patrick j hallinan gmail com> wrote:
>
> I didn't really want to get involved in working on jhbuild if I didn't
> have to but if that's what everyone is using then I will.  Is this the
> preferred way to get a development setup for gtk+?  Are there other
> good options?

One of the goals of jhbuild is to spare you to setup your build
environment manually, and as a bonus it knows where to obtain
dozens of packages from. Once setup properly, you can build more or less
all of Gnome in the same way without even knowing why it works.

An alternative way is of course to install the packages of your choice
to a custom prefix and adjust the environment, ie. PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and PATH. In fact, if you're experienced with linux,
or your respective favourite operating system, that's not even hard.

ciao,
    Christian