Re: Steps to get to GTK+ 3.0

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 15:00 +0200, Vincent Geddes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any chance of using C99 for GTK+ 3.0? its a pretty good improvement
>> over ANSI C in many respects.
>
> I'm sure, but gtk+ is using C89, which is already a good improvement
> over ANSI C.
>
> anyway, I very much doubt that the compilers landscape changed since the
> last discussion on this list, so it's quite pointless to discuss a
> switch now.

Why? People stop using really old software all the time. More people
use C99 capable compilers today than ever before.

> you can already write applications in C99; using it in gtk+ doesn't buy
> us much and would make it impossible for gtk+ itself to be compiled on
> some supported platforms.

Here is an overview:
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/2/23/194544/139. Merely the
initialization inside the for loop feature is a huge improvement. But
I never understood why someone needs to build the latest and greatest
GTK+ on an ancient compiler. Installing a recent version of gcc isn't
that difficult.

I hope that this discussion will be moot some time in the near future
anyway, when gcc starts to ship with c99 enabled by default.

--
mvh Björn