Re: Steps to get to GTK+ 3.0

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:35:47 -0400
Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 20:30 +0200, Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
> > On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 18:51:18 +0100

> > > thank you for your interesting and well-detailed take on the design of
> > > GLib and GObject.
> >
> > Maybe you should also filter out arbitrary words from quotes, it would
> > certainly allow for even more brilliant jokes.
>
> the problem is that it was established years ago that your position of
> "different and inferior" was an opinion, and one not universally held by
> all developers, even those with substantial experience of both
> technologies. therefore, its a bit silly to suggest that one technology
> should be evolving to match the design of the other, when there are
> specific reasons why they differ, and when many people believe that they
> should continue to differ.

Not to match the design of the other. To match a good design. My
initial comment about properties was made with no knowledge of the Qt
scheme whatsoever. I later checked their site, and realized that their
property system was pretty much like the one I had in mind. Is it a
coincidence? No. It's likely that if you lock up a couple of unrelated
developers in individual cells and tell them to design a property
system, most of them will come up with something like the Qt design.

Rather than calling my suggestions silly, why don't you actually try
to explain how the non-preprocessed, dynamic-only GLib property design
is superior to the Qt design (or at least not inferior), or describe
these specific reasons that you are talking about?

--
Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort brutele be>