Re: Steps to get to GTK+ 3.0

Morten Welinder wrote:
>> (things that developers of client code
>> have been wanting for years, such as the removal of deprecated code or
>> the mangling of fields),
>
> As an application developer I can assure you that we as a group are
> not actively looking for ways to break our applications.  If the urge
> should arise then we can simply sort the contents of our source files
> or randomly flip bits.  In other words, you need not waste precious
> GTK+ resources on the problem.

Yes we must. The reason we are having this discussion in the first place
is because we haven't put resources on the problem until now and GTK+ is
in disparate need of this.

> Jokes aside, try not to be cool for the sake of being cool.  It was painful
> to migrate from GTK+ 1.x to GTK+ 2.x.

Also, adding to Mikael's comment, the change from GTK+ 2.x to 3.x is not
supposed to be about major feature rewrites (like GtkCList to
GtkTreeView). The focus here is to allow GTK+ to be maintained more
effectively.

> Many applications didn't make it for years.

Many applications didn't make the change because it meant rewriting a
lot of code. Unless my applications are using some evil voodoo they
shouldn't be using, I don't expect the transition from GTK+ 2.x to 3.x
to take much time at all.

Martyn