Re: Steps to get to GTK+ 3.0

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Havoc Pennington <hp pobox com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 2:37 PM, BJörn Lindqvist <bjourne gmail com> wrote:
>> Regardless, gtk+ 3.0 is a long-term project, probably with a first
>> release sometime in 2010 or so. Embedded developers wont want to pick
>> it up before 2012.
> Maybe 2010 is a fast release that only adds G_SEAL, but if so that's
> kind of depressing... I would hope a 3.0 that only did that could come
> out by end of this year or early 2009, maybe at the same time as the
> next 2.x release even. The whole argument is that to start on 3.x
> series feature work first the ABI must be sealed. Delaying feature
> work to 2010 would certainly suck.

Alright, that is true. The Imendio Vision[1] doesn't mention any
concrete dates. Neither does it specify how long the 2.x and 3.x
branches will have to live in parallel. Presumably, 2.x maintenance
can't be ceased just because 3.x is out. Even if a first 3.x release
is done this year, it will take a long time for applications to be
ported. GTK+ 3.x won't be the "GTK+ of choice" before 2010, that's for
sure.

Does a time schedule exist for the 3.x transition? I think that an
official time schedule with tentative release dates would be very
useful. As a GTK+ 2.x application developer, I would like to know for
how long 2.x will live and when the best time is to migrate to 3.x.

1 - http://developer.imendio.com/sites/developer.imendio.com/files/imendio-gtk-vision.pdf

--
mvh Björn