Re: filesystemmodel branch - initial testing

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 11:20 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> If the improvements are as impressive as Federico makes them sound,
> then I think getting them into 2.18 (and thus out to users) would be a
> nice thing, imo.

Basically, before the filesystemmodel branch, I dreaded using the file
chooser to visit my ~ or ~/Downloads (two big dumpsters in my file
system).  Now both appear semi-instantaneously after clicking on those
folders, and they are not slowed down by loading thumbnails (something
which was a big problem for me before).

An eyeballed test in a directory of 10K empty files showed 3 seconds for
the new branch, versus 9 seconds for the old branch.

I'd love it if people could test slow networked directories.

> Of course, there is some risk, so we need to test and review
> carefully. But Federico is doing that, and I'll look over the patch
> myself, too.

Sure, thanks.  You may want to start by reading the big comment near the
beginning of gtkfilesystemmodel.c, and then by looking at the actual
code.

  Federico