Re: disabling GTK+ features to shrink GTK+

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 6:10 AM, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
<tshepang gmail com> wrote:

> Yeah, I get it, but here's the point: it isn't nice when a maintainer
> says "unlikely" without giving even one reason, leaving the rest of us
> to guess (EG, "that's most likely the reason").

These things have been discussed before, more than once.

If we add a configure flag to turn feature A off, we're making a
statement that essentially says: we support configurations with and
without A. Now add a second flag to turn off feature B off, and say we
support configurations with A+B, A+!B, !A+B, !A+!B, and so on... and
once we've added these flags you will come back and complain whenever
your favourite of the 2^n supported configurations break. Also think
about bug reports. Instead of version x.y.z being a good indication
what code is running, there are now 2^n variants of version x.y.z,
each with possibly different bugs.

Matthias