Re: Glib: a Win32 discussion

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 10:50 -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Colin Walters <walters verbum org> writes:
>
> > If your application deals with uids, I think you're going to end up
> > with platform-specific code; the complexities around identity are just
> > too high.  That goes doubly for inode numbers, which - why would you
> > care unless you're a backup app, and then you're *definitely* going to
> > get into platform specific stuff.
>
> One occasional use of inode (and device) numbers is to test
> whether two files, that may have different names, are the same.
> (Maybe GIO provides a portable way to find that out.  In a quick
> look I could not find one.)

The portable way to do this is to get the G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ID_FILE
attribute. On unix this has a device:inode format. It looks to me like
this has no special implementation on win32, and we should probably add
one. Although I have no idea what the right approach is.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a one-legged playboy vagrant with a secret. She's a green-fingered
out-of-work Hell's Angel from beyond the grave. They fight crime!