Re: next steps for touch support in GTK+

hi;

On 4 August 2012 15:18, Morten Welinder <mortenw gnome org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
>
>>> GtkSwitch bugs me.  It really should just have been a styling of the toggle
>>> button since it performs the same function with a different look.
>>
>> it does not "perform the same action".
>
> That is a baseless assertion.  Of course it does.
> And stop misquoting me, please.

I do not misquote you, but I may be misunderstanding you: what do you
mean what you say "performs the same function"? see below.

> We're talking about two widgets that are both used
> to turn something off or on.  And nothing else.
> How is that not the "same function"?

one implies a "soft" action (GtkToggleButton), whereas the other
implies something similar of a hardware switch (GtkSwitch). they both
have their use cases which are not interchangeable:

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/UX/Guidelines/SwitchWidget

the page above should become part of the new Human Interface
guidelines/design patterns. not every application should use switches,
nor existing applications should be mindlessly migrated to moving from
toggle and/or check buttons to switches.

> In other words, is there a place where one of them
> is used that would not function right if the other one
> was substituted?

hopefully, the page above answers your questions; it can be improved
if it doesn't.

the short takeaway is that the switch should be used in specific
cases, and that the way its been defined as a widget does not allow
inheritance from GtkToggleButton or GtkButton (no label, no children,
styling of trough and handle).

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--