Re: RFC: new features

I think that if we were up to do this, we should go ahead and get rid of GtkTreeModel altogether and substitute it for something like libmodel.

The data driven app situation in GObject/Gtk+ is quite sad at the moment and there's a lot of code that could be reused (like data/search filtering and data model backends) if we had a proper collection/data model API in place and used by the toolkit.

2012/1/13 Kristian Rietveld <kris loopnest org>
On Jan 12, 2012, at 6:16 AM, Matthew Brush wrote:
> SIMPLE TREE and LIST
> It would be great to have simple GtkTree and GtkList widget sitting ontop of the extremely powerful GtkTreeView API for those many cases where you just need a basic tree or list box. The new widgets would not require a book[1] to explain how to use it. I saw a GtkTree in the API docs but it's deprecated, presumably because it doesn't sit ontop of the better tree view API.

A couple of years ago I worked on an API and implementation of such a simple list/tree, using GtkTreeView internally.  It never made it into GTK+ or bugzilla unfortunately and is catching dust on one of my machines.

I still intend to dig up the code, document it and put it on a wiki somewhere for somebody to pick up and improve so that it can maybe be merged.

regards,

-kris.