Re: runtime accel changes

On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 09:20 -0400, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> hi,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> On 12-09-12 05:15 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Michael Natterer <mitch gimp org> wrote:
> >> I object. Do you really want to disable shortcut editors in
> >> complex applications such as GIMP?
> >
> > I echo Mitch's objections. Ardour users find it very convenient to do
> > runtime changes to key bindings.
>
> Is there a usecase for users who regularly switch keybindings as part of
> their normal workflow, or is this a sort of "customise the app once,
> then use it forever" type of situation?

Both. My guess is that for most it's a change once, or adjust
config gradually situation. But we regularly have people on IRC
who tell us they configure shortcuts all the time, and have
their current most common workflow on F1..F6 or such, or on
Alt-foo bindings that are mostly unused.

We even get reports from those who have gtk-can-change-accels
enabled, but as said earlier, please not ;)

I think my actual point here is: There are so many usecases
and levels of complexity in peoples' workflows, and
in the applications that can be written in GTK+, we should
not disable useful things because they are either not in
fashion any longer according to whoever defines "fashion",
or are out of scope for some refactoring. Instead, rather
adjust the scope of the refactoring.

--mitch