Re: GnomeDesktopThumbnail API replacement

Hey,

As a heavy user of the thumbnailing APIs, I had promised Bastien to
comment on this thread, but I wanted to coherently compile my thoughts
before doing that.

Some releases ago, I switched GNOME Photos to a custom thumbnailing
infrastructure. I have tried to summarise it here:
https://debarshiray.wordpress.com/2018/01/29/gnome-photos-an-overview-of-thumbnailing/

I don't really expect the desktop-wide thumbnailers to handle the
serialized edits. If possible, great, but otherwise, it's ok, I guess.

However, perhaps, the bits about precise thumbnail sizes versus enums,
and versioning the cache might be interesting?

Cheers,
Rishi