Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus now officially dependent on Ammonite when compiled with --enable-eazel-services

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 03:23:15AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 02:48:48AM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > I would love it if Ian McKeller, who's done most of our WebDAV and
> > http stuff, would comment on this stuff. I don't really know much
> > about it. I'm just semi-rationally afraid of adding mroe dependencies.
>
> I am interested in Ian's thoughts. Last time we traded emails, the async was
> the big blocker (which appears to have been solved). I forget what some of
> the other issues were.

For me async was never an issue. The main issue for me was adding yet another
HTTP library. We've got dependancies on libwww, gnome-http, mozilla's http
stuff, gnet and gnome-vfs. To add another HTTP implementation seemed to me to
be heading in the wrong direction. What I would like to do post-1.0 is to look
at moving towards a rationalization of /all/ the HTTP code used in Nautilus
and associated products. Ideally we could move to using neon everywhere we use
libwww, gnet and gnome-http, and reimplement the gnome-vfs http-method using
neon. We're also hoping to move to some things like metadata support into
gnome-vfs. This will mean that we'll have to either drastically improve the
quality of the WebDAV implementation (which is currently just good enough
for what we're doing with it) or move to someone elses' implementation.

Ian