[Nautilus-list] Creation of desktop icons

 Hello,

I downloaded and built Nautilus PR2 last night and have a question about the desktop which I could not find in the FAQ. How does one create a "shortcut" icon on the desktop representing a program? I was able to drag "shortcuts" of folders and programs, etc. to the desktop, but this is not what I was looking for. If I wanted to create a "shortcut" to a particular program, let's say GIMP, I would right click on the desktop and select "New -> Shortcut" or some similar action under Windows or GMC. Under Nautilus IIRC, I only saw "New Folder" and one other item. Basically, I want to create shortcuts to programs on the desktop, silimar to "xxx's home, trash, etc.". Also, there doesn't seem to be an option in the properties for desktop shortcuts that allows one to change the icons, or am I missing this as well?

I feel silly asking this because the solution is probably right in front of me, but I couldn't figure this out for the life of me.

Jeffrey H. Ingber (jhingber ix netcom com)