Re: [Nautilus-list] A whole list of feauture requests and bugs

> > - Encrypted folders. There is a loopback encrypted filesystem in The
>
> This would be very cool. Perhaps we could even use an "encrypted" emblem
> to mark things for encryption.

Perhaps the "secret" emblem? But what worries me is that a mixture of emblems
that actually do something and ones that are only decoration will be
confusing.

> > - CVS integration. I have not yet seen *any* user-friendly interface to
> CVS
>
> I have tried to convince a few aspiring Nautilus programmers to work on
> a CVS module, but no takers yet. Currently Eazel people are working on
> critical functionality, but we're always more than happy to have people
> work on plugins and modules. The first step would probably be a
> gnome-vfs cvs module.

I'm only at page 20 of GTK+/Gnome Application Development (Havoc Pennington)
so it 'll probably take a while before I'll know how to write Nautilus modules
;).

> > - Transparant copying of audio tracks to the hard disk. When a user drags
> an
> > audio track (yes, it should be possible to "mount" audio CDs) to the hard
> disk
> > then a dialog should pop-up asking what format the song should be stored
> in,
> > CDDB should also propose meta-data for MP3s, Ogg Vorbis, etc. This
> feauture
> > request is related to the next one.
>
> I thought we did this...? At the very least it has been discussed.
> Gnome-VFS can read audio CDs at the very least, and I thought there was
> mention of Gene doing conversion stuff at one point, though I could be
> entirely mistaken.

It doesn't work for me, I get a mount error that shows some weird
characters... actually all mount errors are weird characters (I listened to an
MP3 of an Eazel developer explaining that it was a Bonobo bug that was already
been fixed). Hmm, now that I think about it, all mounts return an error in
Nautilus.. even if I mount via console.

> > on the second tab. A better way IMHO would be to store the emblems in a
> side
> > panel.
>
> I don't know how many people use emblems ATM, but if we want to
> encourage their use, this does seem like a reasonable place to put
> things...esp. given the rather non-useful items we have there (at least
> to me :-)

I'm mainly using them in my home folder so I can get a quick view at what the
useful folders are. I do this because Nautilus, Evolution, Balsa, Pan and
probably more applications don't make hidden folders for some reason. This is
probably great for people that want to make backups and don't know about UNIX
hidden files but it's annoying in everyday file management. Perhaps those
folders should be the ones getting an emblem and the possibility to filter
(tough a '.' prefix so they don't show up in the shell either would be nice
anyway)?

> > - Filters, in the location bar I would like to type /home/jdv/*.txt to see
>
> indeed. Or maybe expand the typeahead to allow selection of multple
> files by regular expressions / shell globs.

I believe Konquerer does what you just described. I have used it only once and
don't have it currently installed so I can't check.

> <snip> Various bug reports :-)
>
> Would you be so kind as to file bug reports for these on
> http://bugzilla.eazel.com ? It would help us immensley!

I'll do that.

> > - Repainting the desktop (and other Nautilus windows) is still to slow and
> > shows shadow images.
>
> What do you mean by shadow images? The current expected behavior
> regarding desktop slowness is that the background will always be
> constant, but it'll have to redraw the icons on the desktop when you
> move things over them. If the background itself is showing "trails",
> please file a bug!

Not the background, but the Nautilus windows themselves. But the background is
hardly visible anyway.

> > - If I use the GNOME control panel to change the background while Nautilus
> is
> > running then the shadow images are parts of the background loaded when
> > Nautilus booted or loaded using the Background and Emblems dialog.
>
> OK, this does sound like some evil going on. What's probably happening
> is that nautilus isn't setting the background pixmap correctly when the
> "old" Background selector is used. This should be fixed in GNOME 1.4
> just by the use of the new capplet, but we probably should deal with
> this before then too :-)

Should I file a bug report about this? My opinion is that it doesn't matter
that the behaviour in GNOME 1.2 is broken though Eazel might be interesting
because of Red Hat shipping Nautilus.

> Thanks for your terrific comments Jonas!

You're welcome ;)

> -Seth

Jonas