Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus Performance

on 2/17/01 4:04 PM, Stuart Maclean at smaclean ns sympatico ca wrote:

> When opening a new window from the desktop or File-> New Window it takes
> roughly 6 seconds for the windows to initially appear.

This is covered by bugzilla.eazel.com bug 6792.

> and another 25 seconds or so for the excessive CPU utilization to stop. Until
> the CPU utilization stops, the window is pretty much un-responsive.

The CPU utilization is Nautilus getting the top left text for the icons and
the directory sizes. These can both be turned off in the Speed Tradeoffs
part of Preferences.

The problem where the window is "pretty much un-responsive" during this time
is something that I haven't heard about before and haven't noticed in my own
testing. Maybe you should write a bug report about it.

> changing into directories with approximately 200 files (3 directories) it
> takes 5 seconds for the files to initially appear

This is covered by bugzilla.eazel.com bug 6793.

> Just a general comment: it takes too long to display the thumbnails of images
> around 500k or more in size.  Windows ME is quite fast at this particular
> operation (perhaps something to shoot for ;)

Maybe you should write a bug report about this. I don't think we have one
about this issue. Bug 6794 is related, but not the same thing.

> It takes quite a bit of time (up to 20 seconds) for even simple web pages to
> be displayed because of the time it takes to load the mozilla component. I
> suspect there isn't a whole lot that can be done about this however for
> comparison sake, the gtkEmbed test application in the mozilla sources takes
> only 1 second or so to load.

Related to bug 6795, but might be worth filing something new.

> -Location text box
> Minor performance issue here: backspacing lags more so than textbox
> widgets in other gnome applications.

This was recently addressed. If it's still slow in HEAD, then we have
another problem and may need to reload our old bug report.

> -Backgrounds and Emblems
> Takes about 5 seconds to load the first time; thereafter it loads pretty much
> instantly.  Also, a small bug comes to mind here. When one wants to add a new
> pattern and selects it from a different directory than the default
> (/usr/share/pixmaps/tiles/), the directory isn't saved in the drop down box
> (so when a user goes to add another tile then have to browse or type the
> directory in again).

We'd appreciate bug reports about both of these problems.

> Two other non-performance related questions/thoughts:
> Are the notes indexed by medusa?

Yes. Not sure if there are bug preventing this from working, but both notes
and emblems are indexed by medusa (both are stored in metadata).

> If the notes are indexed, it would be nice to be able to search just the
> notes.

Good suggestion. Could you write this up as a bug report?

> Also, currently, one cannot "tab" into the location box - is this intentional?
> The keyboard is a much faster device for navigation IMHO so it would be nice
> to have some keybinding to get into the the location box.

Definitely a bug, not a feature. Not sure if there's already a bug report on
this or if it's already been fixed (not sure what version of Nautilus you
are using either).

    -- Darin