[Nautilus-list] Re: [Help] Creating desktop links

on 5/10/01 4:24 AM, Neil Blue at neilblue bigfoot com wrote:

> Thanks John,
>
> That text file running is fine. The question about the icons is that I
> can create a link and put it on the desktop. but it has a link symbol on
> it and a non writable icon (for example). This is unlike the other icons
> (e.g. netscape) which has no link icon and nowrite only icon.
>
> I would like to be able to create icons like this without the link or
> the extra (read only etc..) icons, and to edit the existing ones.

The automatic emblems (link, read-only, etc) will always appear on icons for
which they apply. There isn't any way to prevent that in Nautilus. However,
you can create program launchers that aren't symbolic links -- the easiest
way is to create the launcher on the panel and then drag it to Nautilus.

> Also with icon "Clean Up by Name" I have found that the icons don't
> quite line up and some icon names are run off the edge of the desktop
> ('Mandrake campus', for example).

I believe this is the same as bugzilla.eazel.com bug 6734.

John