[Nautilus-list] Re: [GNOME VFS] Re: detecting automounted nfs dirs

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 06:53:50PM +0100, Stephen Browne wrote:
> Darin Adler wrote:
>
> > on 10/8/01 10:18 AM, Stephen Browne at stephen browne sun com wrote:
> > > I think it will work for any nfs mount that is specified in the fstab
> > > (I looked at the volume-monitor code of nautilus)
> > > but it seems to treat automounted dirs the same a local dirs.
> >
> > What do you think will work for any nfs mount that is specified in the
> > fstab?
>
> Are these dirs accessed via the nfs: uri rather than file:  ?
> in which case the speed tradeoffs may work.

Your operating system is allowing you to treat the NFS mounted directories
as normal files; the RPC/NFS/XDR side of things is hidden completely from
the applications, apart from some limitations. The nfs method actually does
RPC calls from userland to talk to public NFS version 2 servers without
the operating system 'mounting' them.

> > What specific behavior in Nautilus do you want? You want it to "make a
> > distinction", I understand that. But what specifically do you want it to do
> > differently. Once you get clear on that, we may be ready to write a bug
> > report or change the code a bit.
>
> Okay an automounted NFS dir in not local, but nautilus will treat it as a
> local filesystem where the speed tradeoff options are concerned.
>
> For example the "Show count of items in Folders" when set to "Local files only"
> has no effect where nfs mounted directories are accessed via the file: uri
>
> Am I making any sense?
>
> I have an internal bug for solaris on this.
> There was a bug logged in bugzilla.eazel.com  [ 8539]
> but Im not sure what the number is after it got transfered to gnome.org.
>
> the synopsis was:
> limiting 'Show Count of items in folder' in Speed Tradeoffs has no effect...

There is "dev_t st_dev" in the return value of stat(2), but haven't managed
to find out what that actually means. It just appears to be a random unsigned
integer and not useful for anything except checking if two files are on the
same device. I can't think of any other obvious way to find out if a directory
is on an NFS mount..

Cheers,
Grahame

--