Re: [Nautilus-list] RPM installs, tarball browsing

on 10/8/01 3:01 PM, Jens Knutson at jensknutson yahoo com wrote:

> What's happening with Nautilus in regards to being able to do RPM
> installs, or browse tarballs?  I seem to recall it having features like
> this back in February or so (many pardons if the date is off - my
> memory's hazy on this).

The RPM install feature was using a library that was part of the Eazel
service offering. A big part of how it did its job was tied up with the
Eazel services and downloading new packages. We're still waiting for someone
to step forward and either take that old code or write some new code to do
something nice for packages in Nautilus.

The tarball browsing code we had partly done never worked well. We need
someone to tackle that and make it work. I was planning to do this a while
back, but enough other things came up that I didn't have time for it yet.
It's near the top of my list for new features, but improving speed, porting
to gnome 2, and helping others with their contributions to the project come
before new features.

    -- Darin