Re: Theme dir..

On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 12:13, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert ximian com> writes:
> >
> > Since most things seem to be heading towards
> > $prefix/share/themes/themename/app-dir/ structure, we should do that for
> > Nautilus as well. Metacity just recently switched as well.
> >

> Rather than causing breakage in Nautilus themes, could we just get rid
> of Nautilus themes?
>
> For icons (toolbar and file manager), we should have icon theme
> instead that spans stock icons and such, and Alex already implemented
> most of this using the shared spec with KDE.
>
> For desktop background, it in no way belongs in the Nautilus theme;
> it's entirely bizarre that the "Use Default Background" menu item goes
> to some Nautilus theme background, instead of the default gnome
> background from libgnome schemas file.
>
> For the sidebar pieces, well, they should use a standard notebook
> appearance IMO.
This has to done very carefully.

> I don't know what else is in the Nautilus theme but I bet it's not
> worth having a "Nautilus theme" concept.
The only thing that I can think of is "SVG".  Nautilus so far seems to
be the only gnome application that uses librsvg to render SVG icons, gtk
does not have support for svg icons.

> In any case, moving the Nautilus themes is definitely a 2.2 feature,
> and for 2.2 I'd rather see Nautilus themes die, short answer.
>
> Havoc
> --
 "There has grown in the minds of certain groups in this country the
idea that just because
a man or corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of
years, the
government and the courts are charged with guaranteeing such profit in
the future, even in
the face of changing circumstances and contrary to public interest. This
strange doctrine
is supported by neither statue or common law. Neither corporations or
individuals have the
right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped,
or turned back."

-Robert Heinlein, Life Line, 1939