Re: useful scripts

> Not finished, but in progress:
>
>   http://apotheke.berlios.de/
>
> To do this properly, gnome-vfs needs to support versioning and stuff. It
> should really be done at that layer, with Nautilus love on top.

This is not the same as a shell extension in Windows though. For
Apotheke the author had to create his own view from scratch, with shell
extensions you extend the existing views with new UI pieces.

Windows has several different types of shell extensions: context menu
extensions, property page extensions (adds an extra tab to property
windows), column view extensions (add additional columns in detail
view), drag&drop handler extensions and some others.

The advantage of shell extensions is that you can easily build on the
existing UI and for yourself don't have to worry about the details of
displaying icons for files, etc. Shell extensions are really pretty damn
sweet and probably also pretty damn hard to implement properly. ;)

Cheers,

- Frank

[And now for some shameless self-promotion, back in my Windows days I
wrote a program to manage shell extensions on your system.
(http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~fworsley/ftm/index.html)]