Re: [Nautilus-list] icon annotations

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 10:00, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When did we add the "folder" and "application launcher" annotations
> below icons?
>
>  (as in http://people.redhat.com/~hp/prefs.png)
>
> This really seems like a "our UI is wrong so add explanatory text"
> kind of decision; i.e. a workaround for not using folder-looking icons
> for folders...
>
> I think I've seen it clearly distinguishing the annotation from the
> main text in the past, but in the above screenshot it just looks like
> everything has a weird name.
>
> Anyway something here needs fixing...

Seems to me like "Advanced" ought to have an icon that's obviously a
folder, or be displayed in some other distinctive way (as a second
panel, maybe, like the MacOS X preferences?), and the others ought to
just have their names.

IMHO calling preference editors "applications" is just going to
confuse the user, even if that is an accurate description of how
they're implemented. I'd think that even if, as Darin says, this
is just the Nautilus-wide icon caption preferences being used for
the preferences:/// virtual folder, there might be a case for
special handling here.